[pypy-dev] Re: Pypy frontend/ testall.py

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Mar 14 14:54:25 CET 2003

Hello Bengt,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 07:04:33PM -0800, Bengt Richter wrote:
> I wonder if some kind of aliasing mechanism could solve this kind
> of problem.

In some point of view we had the opposite problem: importing 'test' finds too
many 'test' packages and imports the wrong one.

> This would allow creation of platform-independent sys.path name
> prefixes like, e.g., r"/$$py_lib" and generating, e.g., r"D:\python22\lib"
> or the unix equivalent as the modified path prefix actually used.

I think this is interesting, and I need it for the "unit" thing: a
platform-independent way to point to a file that can be either 'local', i.e.
relative to the directory of the file containing the pointer, or absolute
within Python's standard library.  Right now I am simply saying that a
posix-style name containing at least a '/' is local, and otherwise it is a
(possibly dotted) module name from the standard library.  Maybe a more general
virtual file namespace could be an interesting thing to have.