[pypy-dev] Implicit make functionality in pypy?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Mar 14 15:01:29 CET 2003

Hello Bengt,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 07:53:10PM -0800, Bengt Richter wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of activity between a python source and
> producing the result of "executing" it. Even in CPython, there are
> implicitly checks on the environment and for the existence of .pyc
> files, etc., and conditional compilation based on these.
>
> Descriptions of pypy aspirations suggest more complex and conditional
> behavior in the process of "executing" a python script.

Yes, but I am not sure there is a need for a 'make'-based running process.  A
similar result can be acheived by correctly defining and linking together
Python code containing declarative classes, which is what I am trying to do
with the "unit" stuff.

In other words, as we are using Python to control how parts are tied to each
other, we already have much more flexibility than if we were using C (as in
CPython).

> would perhaps act like
>     pypy_make results -f pypy_run.mak -s script.py
> under the covers, and pypy_run.mak (and script.py.mak if present?)
> could accumulate the declarative glue to express all the relationships.

I would prefer this glue to be written in a form that is easily accessible to
Python algorithms.  The SCons project could be useful here, too; I think I
will more seriously look at it and see if it could be used to declare what I
have in mind for "units", namely extensible bags of files, each playing a
parametrizable role within the unit.