[pypy-dev] Re: Extending the ObjectSpace Concept

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at netscape.net
Tue May 20 05:15:04 CEST 2003

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:

>roccomoretti at netscape.net (Rocco Moretti) writes:
>
>[...]
>> Which sort of leads me to the reason I got on this train of thought. Over
>> the past couple of weeks I've been trying to fix the remaining bugs in the
>> trivial object space. Some of them seem to stem (at least in part) to the
>> lack of a separate sys/builtins module for the application level code. (As
>> was mentioned earlier by mwh). I've attempted to fix it by special casing
>> the builtin __import__(). However, in order to do so, __import__() needs
>> to be able to call out to interpreter level python functions. With the
>> current TrivialObjectSpace, that's impossible as all python functions are
>> run through the pypy interpreter.
>
>Yes!  I ran into this a few weeks back but then forgot exactly what
>the issue was :-(

Although I don't know exacally the problems you had with your
implementation, there are two somewhat different issues that I came
across. The first is that any Python function called by interpreted code
is also interpreted. This means we can never "escape" to the interpreter
level python code. The second is that even if it was possible to call
interpreter level functions, an application level __import__() would not
have any references to those functions anyway, and so would not be able to call them in the first place.

>Are you coming to the sprint in May?

Unfortunately, due to my schedule, I cannot. But I wish the best of luck
to those who can.

-Rocco