[pypy-dev] from comp.lang.python.announce -- Helix encryption

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Nov 16 20:09:06 CET 2003

Hello Laura,

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 06:40:51PM +0100, Laura Creighton wrote:
> This might be interesting to use as a pypy performance test, if we
> can get the python version acceptably fast.

Could be.  I tried Psyco on it, but it doesn't do better than 2x the plain
Python speed.  This is because this module does unsigned 32-bit arithmetic
using longs.  Well I could enhance Psyco to try and encode longs in a single
unsigned 32-bit machine word if they fit...  The result would certainly be
quite fast.

But anyway I guess that's not what you had in mind; we could try to
genpyrex-ify the module.  Would probably need some tweaking in the Python
source, but could be interesting to try indeed.

A bientot,

Armin