[pypy-dev] Re: from private mail out of discussion on building a communitypythion website

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Thu Nov 20 15:44:53 CET 2003

[Patrick K. O'Brien Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:18:43AM -0600]
> Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> writes:
> > Sourceforge won't let you develop using subversion until subversion
> > is 1.0, which is isn't, quite, yet.  But once you have used
> > subversion, the thought of using cvs is ... painful ...
>
> So I've heard.
>
> > Plus, for the design I had in order, you really want to use
> > subversion as part of your versioning system from inside the
> > website.
>
> Could Holger Krekel set us up with an svn repository on Codespeak?  He
> once offered to host my PyPerSyst project there.  Holger is on the
> pypy-dev list, isn't he?  Er, aren't you, Holger?  ;-)

Hey Patrick.  Actually i am but i have been too busy to answer :-)

Yes, i would be happy to setup you and your project members.  But let me not
forget to mention the codespeak-repository policy:  All projects use the
same repository and everyone with commit rights has - by default - full
commit rights.  In the unlikely case that somebody goes wild and does
unwanted changes it's a) easy to reverse and b) easy to take action *then*.
IOW the ACIDness of subversion allows to view the repo as a kind of
a version-controled "code wiki".

> If so, could we also get a mailing list going?  I kind of like the
> name I picked, which was "restify", but if someone can think of a
> better name they should speak up.

Actually this is all possible and i may be interested to join as
i have already done some coding along your lines see e.g. the pypy-doc page

http://codespeak.net/pypy/index.cgi?doc/translation/annotation.html

which is generated from a ReST-Source (see link on the same page).
IMHO the engine should be dynamic but could be driven to statically
enumerate and generate all pages from rest-sources.  There are actually
two very interesting ways in the future to edit such ReST-content:

a) reuse the ExternalEditor-concept from Zope to dispatch native
   applications (via e.g. the ReST-link) which can also *save* back
   to the repo/web.

b) reuse the Epoz-project which is a client-side WYSIWYG-editor
   for recent browsers (mozilla and IE  mainly).  Epoz is also
   going to move to the codespeak-repo, btw.

But if possible i'd like to talk more/do something about this next
week.  I guess i am just too busy right now.

cheers,

    holger