[pypy-dev] Re: Ints vs Longs

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Oct 13 11:58:14 CEST 2003

Florian Schulze <florian.proff.schulze at gmx.net> writes:

> I just wondered what happens when ints overflow.

In PyPy, um, I'm not sure :-) We don't have a long type in the
StdObjSpace yet, so I guess you'll get an overflow error.

> This question also applies to Psyco.

Psyco correctly detects overflow and returns a long.

For mulitplication, at least, this is easier in machine code than C...

> Is a long returned? How much of a speed penalty does occure due to
> this?

I don't know.  It's probably quite substantial.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  If you give someone Fortran, he has Fortran.
  If you give someone Lisp, he has any language he pleases.