[pypy-dev] "Unwrap" Concidered Harmful

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Oct 14 12:41:45 CEST 2003

Hello Rocco,

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:53:51AM -0500, Rocco Moretti wrote:
> be determined by a specific function, and not by unwrapping the
> application level length. We may want to implement some object space
> where the application level length is different than the length at which
> the intepreter should view it. For example, an application level length
> may be "between 4 and 7, but most likely 5", but for purpouses of
> interpreter level execution we want it to be treated as 7.

I don't really see how this could be useful, but even if it were I assume that
it can still be handled by the object space in a call like
space.unwrap_int(space.len(w_list)). I would rather try to keep the number of
special operations as low as possible.

BTW there is a nice parallel to make between unwrap_int() and is_true(), which
both extract some kind of interpreter-level information out of an
application-level object. We could probably find a more coherent naming
scheme.

A bientot,

Armin