[pypy-dev] Re: recent lisp support / cross-language

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 15 02:21:45 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 09:47, Christian Tismer wrote:
> > Not if I have anything to do with it!  Scheme is a toy language, at
> > least as defined by R5RS.
>
> Oh! I didn't realize that. I don't write much Lisp, but
> used Scheme a little, many years ago, and thought
> it were "the better Lisp" meanwhile.
> Sorry for my ignorance.

He's being oblique.  R5RS doesn't define any of the libraries or extra
features you might consider essential for day-to-day programming.  There
are certainly mature, useful Scheme implementations around --
interpreters and compilers.  And the SRFIs define a bunch of standard
interfaces for libraries.

Another slant is that Perl is to Common Lisp as Python is to Scheme.  CL
has got every feature that anyone thought would be useful.  Scheme has
got a minimal set of features that everyone agreed were necessary.

Jeremy