[pypy-dev] Maybe Ian Bicking wants our test framework.

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Wed Oct 15 10:34:23 CEST 2003

[Laura Creighton Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 10:16:34AM +0200]
> http://blog.colorstudy.com/ianb/weblog/2003/10/10.html#P11

interesting thread.  But our test-"framework" is really just
a hack hardly serving our own purposes. OTOH, our use cases
for driving tests are somewhat different from Zope3, twisted
and all the other projects who wrote their own.

For one, we have interpreter-level and app-level tests, further
parametrized by Object Spaces. Also we are using tools (such as
dot, clisp, ...) which may sometimes not be there and there is
no clean way to skip those tests.  And i'd like to have a
"TestConsole" that allows me to repetively rerun failing tests
until the implementation is fixed, IOW support test-driven development
directly.  Plus i'd like pluggable report modules (producing
html for automated tests on the web-page etc.) and, and and.

unittest.py and most of the above mentioned replacements don't
seem to be designed for all these uses. I think it makes sense
to tackle a rewrite of unit-test making all those use-cases
easy and pythonic maybe not only for PyPy.  I am not sure how
much of the current std/unittest.py API/internals we want to
inherit, though.

cheers,

    holger