[pypy-dev] Improved Unit Test Framework

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Sat Oct 18 01:55:36 CEST 2003

[Laura Creighton Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 10:36:02PM +0200]
> I couldn't remember what Peter had told me about his testing framework,
> so I asked him.  Now he is curious as to what we want to do differently.

Apparently, almost every larger python project writes its own
unittest-workaround/extension with often similar features.  It's sure
interesting to condense a list of useful features from all the different
approaches.

However, PyPy requires e.g. to sometimes take over the execution
of a test method because it needs to be run at app-level with a
specific objspace.  Also some methods can/should be run on multiple
objectspaces.  Moreover, i guess that at some point we want to
rerun tests with our generated (C-version) PyPy, etc.pp

So until someone ports over their unittest-framework and shows how this
can all nicely work out i remain unconvinced that we can just reuse
another unittest-wrapper :-)

After all, i don't think that writing a more flexible (unit)test module
suiting our purposes is that hard.  We already have quite a bit of it
and can rip from unittest.py.

cheers,

    holger