[pypy-dev] Improved Unit Test Framework

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Sun Oct 19 13:06:54 CEST 2003

[Anthony Baxter Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 05:52:40PM +1000]

> > It might be nice to get a hold of other people and see what they
> > would like to have in a unittest module.  That way, even if we
> > don't write it that way ourselves, we can make sure that it will
> > be easy for them to add their heart's desire later.
>
> It's probably worth breaking this into two categories:
>
>  - improvements to unittest itself
>  - a test runner (e.g. Zope3's test.py, twisted's trial)
>
> The latter is what's _really_ needed - it'd be nice if something could be
> done for Python 2.4.

Yes, the distinction makes sense.  ASFAIK most testframeworks provide a
much better testrunner but don't care that much about the actual
unittest machinery (because it's hard to change, anyway :-).  As a side
note, i think that the distinction between unit-tests and functional
tests is not always practical. We certainly do a lot of more-or-less
functional testing in PyPy.  Actually, a new testing module shouldn't
need to worry about unit<->function tests too much.

cheers,

    holger