[pypy-dev] Improved Unit Test Framework

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Sun Oct 19 19:23:06 CEST 2003

[Peter Hansen Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 09:14:43AM -0400]
> holger krekel wrote:
> >
> > [Anthony Baxter Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 05:52:40PM +1000]

> > > It's probably worth breaking this into two categories:
> > >
> > >  - improvements to unittest itself
>
> Just what would those be?  I still haven't heard a single useful
> improvement.  There must be some (at least, that's obviously what
> a lot of people feel), but what are they?

ok, here a few possible improvements for starters (i have a lot more in
mind :-)

- beeing able to provide a function that executes a test-method
  (today you have to replicate all the boilerplate in TestCase.__call__
  etc.pp.)

- beeing able to raise e.g. TestSkip Error to indicate that a test
  should not be run with the current setup. (You can't alway tell
  that offhand in setUp).

- allow providing extra options to the cmdline-interface

- plan for/do other user-interfaces (web-driven, pygame, whatever :-)

- provide means (a TestConsole) to easily get a list of failed tests
  (interactively), keep the testing-process alive and repetitively redo
  the failed tests. Or save off the info to some file and reload it
  on rerunning the test.

cheers,

    holger