[pypy-dev] Does RPython have slice?

Seo Sanghyeon tinuviel at sparcs.kaist.ac.kr
Fri Oct 24 05:05:54 CEST 2003

I was playing with translator frontend, writing random snippets.
And I discovered FlowObjSpace currently lacks newslice interface.

Does RPython have slice?

I checked StdObjSpace implementation. slicefind.sh is located at SVN
repo user/sanxiyn/script. Slice is currently used only in stringojbect,
namely split, strip, count, startswith, endswith, and repr. (Two
matches in listobject doesn't need to be RPython.) It wouldn't be
hard to rewrite them without slice.

I remember a discussion on IRC whose log I posted for a while ago:
in RPython, op should be able to be implemented efficiently, or
be disallowed. And flowgraph transformation was suggested.

Perhaps slice to sans-slice transformation should be written,
and translators may or may not use the transformation?

Seo Sanghyeon