[pypy-dev] needed 18 month plan of what we would do in developing PyPy if we got funding.

Samuele Pedroni pedronis at bluewin.ch
Sun Sep 7 21:36:37 CEST 2003

At 18:08 07.09.2003 +0100, Armin Rigo wrote:

>In both case it might be possible to reduce the "run-time" part drastically,
>thus making the tool essentially independent from a low-level run-time -- it
>would work in Java too :-)

it would be an interesting experiment, although the JVM has its own quirks
in term of performance and limitations.

OTOH a faster "Jython" with this or other techniques is achievable,
but just a less costly to mantain codbase would be already good.

>Oh yes, BTW, thread pickling is another example of what the translator can
>help make possible :-) It would be possible because to pickle a thread state
>cleanly you really need all information you can get about the data structures
>and where they are on the stack. A translator could emit special C code that
>keeps track of that in a way that would be extremely tedious to do manually.

yes, a whole range of things that are tedious/hard to do manually, becomes
possible and
opens up.

> > - optimizations for lookup/globals while
> > supporting dynamic changes (things AFAIK Psyco does not address completely
> > ? is that correct)
>
>Yes. Global lookups are cached but still work correctly in presence of dynamic
>changes, but what doesn't at the moment is lookups of methods in new-style
>classes.

yes lookup was distinguished from globals, and was referring to
attribute/method
lookup, is an area where I have some ideas and where we can borrow from
smalltalk/self...
research.

Samuele.