[pypy-dev] needed 18 month plan of what we would do in developing PyPy if we got funding.

Samuele Pedroni pedronis at bluewin.ch
Sun Sep 7 23:12:28 CEST 2003

about

"""
2. Translation of RPython
-------------------------

The goal is to be able to translate arbitrary RPython source code (e.g.
the one produced in 1a) into low-level code (C, Pyrex, Java, others).
This includes making a stand-alone, not-PyPy-related tool for general
optimization of arbitrary but suitably restricted Python application or
parts thereof.

  a) analyse code to produce the relevant typing information. Investigate
if we can use the annotation object space only or if additional
AST-based control flow analysis is needed.
"""

part of this would be also to define what precisely RPython is, right?

I imagine that as long as what we translate is PyPy code , the definition,
whatever
our tool accept, works.

OTOH if we want as result to target arbitrary RPython source code, we need
a "formal"
definition of RPython and of the translation process.