[pypy-dev] Extended goals (was: needed 18 month plan of what we would do in developing PyPy if we got funding.)

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Thu Sep 11 13:32:19 CEST 2003

Howdy,

In addition to the goals in plan.txt, I think we need
to do some more things.
So far, the draft tells about PyPy, how to develop
and maintain it, and how it can be extended.
This is just fine from the view of a PyPy developer.

The problem is to convince other parties to support
us. They probably don't have a vital interest in
PyPy for itself, but would like to see goals which
go towards realy usable applications, which can be
developed further.

Therefore, besides the theoretical things which are
great, I'm trying to add prototypical implementations
of application-like stuff, as there is for example:

- creating tiny, specialized code for embedded devices

- distributed processing and load-balancing

I think, these goals would be interesting for some
companies which might participate, and they could
support us by providing hardware and other support.

In extent to this, I just realized a few days ago, that
we have James Tauber in the PyPy list.
He is working on an operating system in Python, see
the cleese project at http://www.jtauber.com/cleese .

In a similar way as we intend to integrate Psyco and
Stackless in some way, I'd like to extend this to
Cleese. I'd like to add

- write a small, prototypical operating system in PyPy

to the list of application goals.

Question: Is there any objection to this, or can I continue?

Are there other ideas of applications which we would
like to include as "working horses" to create interest in PyPy?

cheers - chris