[pypy-dev] Extended goals (was: needed 18 month plan of what we would do in developing PyPy if we got funding.)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Sep 11 13:55:17 CEST 2003

On Thursday, Sep 11, 2003, at 07:32 America/New_York, Christian Tismer
wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> In addition to the goals in plan.txt, I think we need
> to do some more things.
> So far, the draft tells about PyPy, how to develop
> and maintain it, and how it can be extended.
> This is just fine from the view of a PyPy developer.
>
> The problem is to convince other parties to support
> us. They probably don't have a vital interest in
> PyPy for itself, but would like to see goals which
> go towards realy usable applications, which can be
> developed further.
>
> Therefore, besides the theoretical things which are
> great, I'm trying to add prototypical implementations
> of application-like stuff, as there is for example:
>
> - creating tiny, specialized code for embedded devices
>
> - distributed processing and load-balancing
>
> I think, these goals would be interesting for some
> companies which might participate, and they could
> support us by providing hardware and other support.
>
> In extent to this, I just realized a few days ago, that
> we have James Tauber in the PyPy list.
> He is working on an operating system in Python, see
> the cleese project at http://www.jtauber.com/cleese .
>
> In a similar way as we intend to integrate Psyco and
> Stackless in some way, I'd like to extend this to
> Cleese. I'd like to add
>
> - write a small, prototypical operating system in PyPy
>
> to the list of application goals.
>
> Question: Is there any objection to this, or can I continue?
>
> Are there other ideas of applications which we would
> like to include as "working horses" to create interest in PyPy?

What about a focus on scientific applications, number crunching?  There
seems to be a pretty good community around SciPy, Numeric, numarray,
etc.  Imagine tweaking a few settings in the PyPy JIT such that it
aligns all of your ints, doubles, or floats to a particular memory
boundary so the code could be vectorized.. and there could be add-ons
to the JIT that allow it to take advantage of AltiVec or SSE2?

Personally, I'm really looking forward to a PPC JIT for Python (even if
I have to help write it myself).. especially now that I have a dual
2ghz g5 on order :)

-bob