[pypy-dev] Extended goals (was: needed 18 month plan of what we would do in developing PyPy if we got funding.)

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Thu Sep 11 14:17:34 CEST 2003

Hi Christian,

[Christian Tismer Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 01:32:19PM +0200]
> Howdy,
>
> In addition to the goals in plan.txt, I think we need
> to do some more things.
> So far, the draft tells about PyPy, how to develop
> and maintain it, and how it can be extended.
> This is just fine from the view of a PyPy developer.

Which is currently (and for some time to come) the main
user group :-)

> In extent to this, I just realized a few days ago, that
> we have James Tauber in the PyPy list.
> He is working on an operating system in Python, see
> the cleese project at http://www.jtauber.com/cleese .
>
> In a similar way as we intend to integrate Psyco and
> Stackless in some way, I'd like to extend this to
> Cleese. I'd like to add
>
> - write a small, prototypical operating system in PyPy
>
> to the list of application goals.
>
> Question: Is there any objection to this, or can I continue?

to the opposite.  There were already some related discussions
about PyPy and kernel interaction on this thread

    http://codespeak.net/pipermail/pypy-dev/2003q3/000832.html

where the main idea was to have PyPy perform syscalls directly
(without any glibc etc.).  this would make for a very efficient
and small runtime platform.  Driving hardware directly (without the
help of some linux-kernel) is certainly possible but i wouldn' t
propose this for the next years unless someone like James Tauber is
to join the project :-)

cheers,

    holger