[pypy-dev] Extended goals (was: needed 18 month plan of what we would do in developing PyPy if we got funding.)

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Thu Sep 11 14:17:34 CEST 2003

Hi Christian,

[Christian Tismer Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 01:32:19PM +0200]
> Howdy,
> In addition to the goals in plan.txt, I think we need
> to do some more things.
> So far, the draft tells about PyPy, how to develop
> and maintain it, and how it can be extended.
> This is just fine from the view of a PyPy developer.

Which is currently (and for some time to come) the main
user group :-)

> In extent to this, I just realized a few days ago, that
> we have James Tauber in the PyPy list.
> He is working on an operating system in Python, see
> the cleese project at http://www.jtauber.com/cleese .
> In a similar way as we intend to integrate Psyco and
> Stackless in some way, I'd like to extend this to
> Cleese. I'd like to add
> - write a small, prototypical operating system in PyPy
> to the list of application goals.
> Question: Is there any objection to this, or can I continue?

to the opposite.  There were already some related discussions
about PyPy and kernel interaction on this thread

where the main idea was to have PyPy perform syscalls directly
(without any glibc etc.).  this would make for a very efficient
and small runtime platform.  Driving hardware directly (without the
help of some linux-kernel) is certainly possible but i wouldn' t
propose this for the next years unless someone like James Tauber is
to join the project :-)