[pypy-dev] Extended goals

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Thu Sep 11 14:57:35 CEST 2003

holger krekel wrote:

> Hi Christian,
> [Christian Tismer Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 01:32:19PM +0200]
>>In addition to the goals in plan.txt, I think we need
>>to do some more things.
>>So far, the draft tells about PyPy, how to develop
>>and maintain it, and how it can be extended.
>>This is just fine from the view of a PyPy developer.
> Which is currently (and for some time to come) the main
> user group :-)

Oops, I'm sorry, somehow the discussion moved
out of pypy-funding.

Well, on the other hand it was ok to ask this here, since
I'm probably puting something into the proposal
that extends the PyPy project, which needs to be
discussed by all PyPy members, not only those who
are interested in funding.
I will send any specific, funding related
stuff to pypy-funding only. I hope there are enough
people subscribed, of course. :-)

[PyPy OS - Cleese?]

> to the opposite.  There were already some related discussions
> about PyPy and kernel interaction on this thread
>     http://codespeak.net/pipermail/pypy-dev/2003q3/000832.html
> where the main idea was to have PyPy perform syscalls directly
> (without any glibc etc.).  this would make for a very efficient
> and small runtime platform.  Driving hardware directly (without the
> help of some linux-kernel) is certainly possible but i wouldn' t
> propose this for the next years unless someone like James Tauber is
> to join the project :-)

Well, may this could be started using the Linux kernel,
and gradually move over to direct hardware support.
This also gives us the opportunity to extend the
project quite, if funding allows and there is interest.

ciao - chris