[pypy-dev]  Extended goals (was: needed 18 month plan ofwhat we would do in developing PyPy if we got funding.)

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at netscape.net
Sat Sep 13 20:51:39 CEST 2003

Samuele Pedroni <pedronis at bluewin.ch> wrote:

>someone has a large C++ codebase and - yes - he knows it is a pain to
>maintain and to add new functionality, PyPy-Python seems cool but what can
>it do for him?
>1) well he can rewrite all his code in Python
>  bzzt, wrong answer ( :) )

Or, he could have PyPy rewrite it for him:

If we continue on the track of maximum generality, we should be able to
hook a C/C++ parser/code generator into the front end of PyPy. And with a
flexible enough backend, instead of PyPy-Psyco emitting machine code or
C, it should be able to emit Python code.

The trick is to write such a beast such that comments are preserved and
the emitted python code is readable.