[pypy-dev] history of PyPy

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Sun Sep 14 09:32:15 CEST 2003

Hello Laura,

[Laura Creighton Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 04:51:47PM +0200]
> Holger wrote something about 'how Armin, Christian and Holger
> started discussing this on the german python mailing list' for
> the history of the project.  I've since lost it.  Anybody
> have that, also the exact dates for the Sprints?

Here is the posting where i offer to organize the first "Minimal
Python" sprint which quickly turned into "PyPy".  It is a response
to Christian Tismer who said in a "P.S." [1] to Gerson Kurz that
writing "a totally minimzed python" would be quite interesting.

http://starship.python.net/pipermail/python-de/2003q1/002925.html

Christian and me involved Armin (in private mails) in the next weeks
and we quickly agreed to send out the first sprint announcement and
invitation to the "Hildesheim" sprint (containing the exact dates):

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032427.html

Actually, i came to the idea of doing that sprint because i attended
Zope3 sprints and liked several aspects about them.  The problem here
obviously was that we started out from nothing which is not
common but proved to be workable.

hope that helps, if not, ask for more detais.

cheers,

    holger

[1] Never underestimate the potential of a P.S. :-)