[pypy-dev] Extended goals

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Wed Sep 24 03:50:59 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 11:46, Christian Tismer wrote:
> [many more binaries than expected]
>
> > btw, i forgot all about it: this is mainly the Zope-Database (ZODB)
> > which is independent from Zope and has quite some parts written
> > in C, for performance reasons ASFAIK.  I'd say they are
> > applying a common technique with high-level-languages:
> > rapidly prototype in Python and reimplement the
> > speed-relevant parts in C (and maintain it).
> > It's rather obvious how PyPy could help here :-)
>
> Absolutely. Zope can reverse its path and move
> its core back to where it belongs: Python.

In fact, Zope3 started with all Python implements of ZODB.  A few parts
of it have been rewritten in C over time.  Performance is the main goal,
but another noteworthy reason to use C is to reduce memory usage.  Pure
Python objects consume a lot of memory.  C extension types can be fairly
small.  (datetime is a good example.)

Does pypy have a plan for memory or is performance the primary goal?

Jeremy