[pypy-dev] i just had the book FLOWS reccomeenmded to me

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sat Apr 10 01:31:28 CEST 2004

In a message of Fri, 09 Apr 2004 17:05:22 CDT, "Edward K. Ream" writes:
>> Why do uncreative people live at all?
>
>Why ask why? It's their problem :-)

grin, but, indeed, the reason to ask why is to figure out a way to nail
down some safe, valued, apprecuiated space to create in at all.

I'm not interested in 'creating in the cracks' -- having the main part
of my life go on doing things I despise, and just dreaming of the
evenings, the weekends, the vacation time, to get me the part of life I
care about and live for.  Either the world has some use for me as
a creator, or, well, it doesn't.

We think that we have got the EU to cough up 1.2 million in order
for us to be paid to live out own creative lives, centre stage, as us.
This is cool.  It also, by the way, was very hard work.  Thomas Edison,
said it best:  Most people miss out on opportunity, because it comes
dressed in overalls and looks like work.

But, dear god, you wrote LEO.  And Literate editors are either a
thing that frees up everybody in their own creative process, or
an incredibly productive cul-de-sac, that has wasted my time for years
in ways that generate new cool ideas for me only.  I cannot tell.
but its a happy-thinking-making-thing, LEO.

>BTW, I found the book, Flow, by Mihalyi Czikszentmihalyi, to be interesting
>and useful. He describes a state we all probably recognize.  Google: Mihalyi
>Czikszentmihalyi

I didn't mean to slam the book, which I have not read.  I want to know
how we can foster this state all the time in people who do not
have natural inclinations that way --- actually, i cannot believe
that they are HUMAN wihtout having natural inclinations that way,
just how can we get them to recognise that this is _important_?

Slap Slap!  Wake up! you get to create now!

for me the above is pure joy, why not for others?

Laura