[pypy-dev] Prothon on PyPy? (was:Prothon on CPython intrepreter?)

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Aug 13 01:12:47 CEST 2004

Mark Hahn wrote:

> Christian Tismer wrote:
>

>>Prothon is different enough to be an other target language.
>>This would enhance our ideas and the implementations, because
>>if we have to support different concepts, we will find better
>>building blocks and better abstraction.
>>
>>Without having talked to the rest of the group, I am
>>pretty sure that we all would be glad to open a Prothon
>>branch in PyPy.
>

> I flattered once again. Feel free.
>
> What would this require me to do?

Joining the group, learn svn, create a sub-project,
discuss it, find out what we are trying to implement,
find out how Prothon's needs can be built in.
On the latter, I think this will not be that much.
You need a new object space and a different interpreter.
At least I think it makes sense for you to talk in
pypy-dev.

> Would I be paid some of those euros? :-)

I guess no, not in this round, unless someone drops off
whom we need to replace, but you can join the sponsored
group when we apply for the next funding. Well, you would need
to be European, or employed by a European firm or institution.
We are trying to get Tim Peters in for that, for instance.

> Seriously though, I'd be happy to help out however I can.

It is less about helping out, but more like getting something.
You might just enjoy to have prothon as another target,
and it will run on whatever implementation framework we build.
Java is quite likely, .net is possible.

PyPy-ers, I'd be interested to see Mark in our project, at
least on the list.

ciao - chris