[pypy-dev] Re: Prothon on PyPy? (was:Prothon on CPython intrepreter?)

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Fri Aug 13 05:29:11 CEST 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 01:12:47 +0200, Christian Tismer wrote:

>>>Without having talked to the rest of the group, I am
>>>pretty sure that we all would be glad to open a Prothon
>>>branch in PyPy.

I've read everything I can about PyPy and checked out the repository.  I
haven't started looking at code yet.  PyPy looks quite exciting.  The
object space seperation looks very compatible with the .Net CLR.

I was thinking I would implement Prothon on .Net CLR first and then next
year start seriously looking at PyPy, but now I've got this crazy idea in
my head to use PyPy to implement Prothon on top of the CLR.

I know the real PyPy with all its goals is a long way out, but I don't need
all the goals PyPy does.  Instead of an automatic translation to C using
your flow-graph tool, I could do a manual port to c# in the beginning. Or
maybe I'll take longer and actually work on the auto-translation to C#.
Also I would be starting full-time now, not later.

It would be ironic to have the first implementation of PyPy not be Python
and not on CPython.  It could be kind of a test run for the real PyPy.

Maybe when I wake up in the morning I will come to my senses and get over
this crazy idea.