[pypy-dev] Re: Recoding C libs in Python

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Fri Aug 13 18:26:50 CEST 2004

In a message of Sat, 14 Aug 2004 00:50:54 +1000, Anthony Baxter writes:
>holger krekel wrote:
>> This reminds me of the task of reimplementing C-coded
>> libraries in Python which seems to be needed for a couple of
>> projects (Jython, IronPython, this new pycore one) and
>> certainly for PyPy even more so as we are approaching
>> low-level translations.
>>
>> So i guess we should think about organizing this effort in a
>> pypy-independent way i.e. it should be equally accessible to
>> all projects/interested parties and have a code base that can
>> be deployed within all the implementations.  What do you
>> think? Anyone interested to head/contribute to such an effort?
>
>Here's a quick breakdown of the modules in Modules/, broken
>up into rough groups. Hope it's useful - probably worth putting
>on a wiki page so that people can correct this grouping, and
>annotate it appropriately. For instance, there's a horde of
>strange little SGI-specific modules - I might have missed one
>or two.

<snip>

Thank you very much.  The list now lives at
http://codespeak.net/pypy/index.cgi?doc/cmodules.html and you can
edit it the usual way as <your pypy trunk>/doc/cmodules.txt

Hmm, should we make a real wiki page of this so that people from other
projects don't need to get our codebase to edit?

Laura