[pypy-dev] Re: [Prothon-user] Re: Prothon on PyPy?

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Sat Aug 14 21:52:19 CEST 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:18:08 +0200, Christian Tismer wrote:

> Mark Hahn wrote:

>> I know the real PyPy with all its goals is a long way out, but I don't need
>> all the goals PyPy does.  Instead of an automatic translation to C using
>> your flow-graph tool, I could do a manual port to c# in the beginning. Or
>> maybe I'll take longer and actually work on the auto-translation to C#.
>> Also I would be starting full-time now, not later.
>
> Sure. Any useful fast path makes sense. You can also
> try to use the C translation and put a C# transformation
> on top of it, or modify it. If that leads to a C# code
> generator for the project, it will be a win.
> Or you do a direct manual thing first, to get things flying.
> After all, having more supported target engines and more
> target languages is good for the project.
>
>> It would be ironic to have the first implementation of PyPy not be Python
>> and not on CPython.  It could be kind of a test run for the real PyPy.
>
> No problem if we start with IronicPython. :-)
>
>> Maybe when I wake up in the morning I will come to my senses and get over
>> this crazy idea.
>
> I wish you a very good sleep -- chris

After thinking about it I realized I need more experience with the CLR and
C# before I could tackle the PyPy generator.  I'm going ahead with the
Prothon implementation on the CLR but I'll keep PyPy in mind.  Every so
often I'll step back and revisit the issue.

Obviously there would be a core implementation hand-written in C#.  I'll
try to see how small that could be as I write this.  Maybe I could even
structure my current code that way.  Maybe I could even think like a code
generator as I write my code.