[pypy-dev] Re: [PyCON-Organizers] Jim Hugunin as keynote speaker

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Dec 1 02:42:44 CET 2004

Laura Creighton wrote:
> In a message of Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:12:41 EST, "A.M. Kuchling" writes:
>
>>Jim Hugunin has agreed to do a keynote speech at PyCon 2005.  In
>>private e-mail, Steve and I agreed that Feb. 1st was a reasonable
>>deadline for getting a title and abstract from Jim.  It'll most likely
>>be about IronPython, but that's up to Jim.  We should update the Wiki
>>and web pages to mention this.  Jim will get free registration.
>>
>>Questions:
>>
>>Guido traditionally gives a keynote, so we now have two
>>speakers. Do we need a third keynote for day 3?
>>
>>Does this suggest a theme of alternative Python implementations for
>>PyCon?  We could ask the Jython, PyPy, and Python/Parrot people if
>>there's anything they want to present -- possibly Christian Tismer for
>>Stackless, too.  (I doubt we can help Samuele Pedroni attend the
>>conference, though, which means it's unlikely Jython can be
>>represented.)  A panel discussion between implementors might be
>>useful/educational.  Teams could also organize sprints of their own.
>>I doubt there's any cross-implementation code to be written, but
>>that's a possibility.  Suggested things to do:
>>
>>	* Ping the Jython, PyPy, Parrot, Stackless groups: anything they w
>>ant to
>>	  present?  Any sprints they want to run?
>>	* If enough presenters show up, schedule a panel discussion.
>>	  (Requires a moderator, and at least a ghost of an agenda.)
>>
>>We could set a deadline for some sort of contest, like the pie-thon
>>competition at OSCON; is that a good idea?  (Pro: it's a good way to
>>encourage progress; it's very concrete; and it gets press.  Con: Time
>>is short for that; not clear what the goal is -- running Python
>>benchmarks has been done, anything moree may be too difficult.
>>Ideas?)
>>
>>IMHO two keynotes are enough, but the Parrot/Python angle may suggest
>>a third keynote, or at least an invited talk: Sam Ruby
>>(http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/) is the current person working on
>>it, and he's an XML guy who's given keynotes before (e.g. notes on one
>>keynote are at http://www.jepstone.net/radio/2002/10/10.html#a209.)
>>
>>--amk
>

> PyPy is funded as of Dec 1. They are signing the papers _now_ I believe.
> Samuele Pedroni is coming to work for Strakt, to do PyPy.  He can come to Pycon.
> We're _all_  thinking about coming and having a Sprint.   I forwarded this
> to pypy-dev -- I am sure that the rest of the gang will have things to say.
>
> Laura -- for PyPy dev.

Woo hoo! Great news. Laura, if you could plan to present along the lines
of "Separating governments from their money for Open Source development"
I would be at the head of the line to listen.

It would be really great if we could see a major US-Europe collaboration
on Pypy at PyCon. The more the merrier!

regards
  Steve
--