[pypy-dev] Re: appspace considerations and genrpy

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Dec 2 00:58:59 CET 2004

Hi Jacob,

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 12:36:52AM +0100, Jacob Hallén wrote:
> I think we need to define what RPython really is. Probably this is best done
> by maintaining a list of what limitations relative to Python there are.
> Initially, this list does not need to be exhaustive. Anything we know about
> restrictions will help.

But there is such a draft in the repository already:

  http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/trunk/doc/objspace/restrictedpy.txt

What is not really explained so far (and would be better put into some kind of
glossary) is that R-Python is a set of "well-behaving promises" over the
Python language.  The name "RPython" puts maybe too much emphasis over it.
Most "not-too-dynamic" programs are already R-Python or close.

The concept of R-Python is by far not as important in PyPy as, say, the
app-level vs. interp-level boundary.  All our non-initialization-time
interp-level code is R-Python by necessity, but a lot of our app-level code is
also R-Python.

Armin