[pypy-dev] Re: appspace considerations and genrpy

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Dec 2 14:32:13 CET 2004

hpk at trillke.net (holger krekel) writes:

> One open topic regarding the restrictions is how to handle *args
> and **kwargs calls.  We did a number of hacks at the last sprint
> to the flowobjspace and annotation to make them "work".

Uh, I don't think **args work in anyway at all.

> Another open topic are dictionaries.   We discussed an idea on IRC
> that dictionaries should only be statically prebuilt and not dynamically
> generated.  But maybe this is not practical and we will
> eventually need to improve the annotator to handle dynamically
> built dictionaries.

Well, the SomeDict annotation is currently only used for the more
dynamic variant of this, but is written as for the less dynamic
variant.  This is why translate_pypy crashes at the moment (eventually

All the static dictionaries end up being SomePBCs, which makes sense,

> However, i am currently only aware of one truly dynamic usage
> of a dictionary which is in the Arguments class of the
> interpreter.  Incidentally, this is connected to the other
> *args/**kwargs calling problem and thus we might try to solve
> both problems at once ...

Extending SomeDict to cover uses as in argument.py probably isn't
especially difficult, and is probably the first thing to try.

 Have you considered downgrading your arrogance to a reasonable level?
        -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp, to yet another C++-using troll