[pypy-dev] Re: appspace considerations and genrpy

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Dec 2 14:32:13 CET 2004

hpk at trillke.net (holger krekel) writes:

> One open topic regarding the restrictions is how to handle *args
> and **kwargs calls.  We did a number of hacks at the last sprint
> to the flowobjspace and annotation to make them "work".

Uh, I don't think **args work in anyway at all.

> Another open topic are dictionaries.   We discussed an idea on IRC
> that dictionaries should only be statically prebuilt and not dynamically
> generated.  But maybe this is not practical and we will
> eventually need to improve the annotator to handle dynamically
> built dictionaries.

Well, the SomeDict annotation is currently only used for the more
dynamic variant of this, but is written as for the less dynamic
variant.  This is why translate_pypy crashes at the moment (eventually
:).

All the static dictionaries end up being SomePBCs, which makes sense,
really.

> However, i am currently only aware of one truly dynamic usage
> of a dictionary which is in the Arguments class of the
> interpreter.  Incidentally, this is connected to the other
> *args/**kwargs calling problem and thus we might try to solve
> both problems at once ...

Extending SomeDict to cover uses as in argument.py probably isn't
especially difficult, and is probably the first thing to try.

Cheers,
mwh

--
 Have you considered downgrading your arrogance to a reasonable level?
        -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp, to yet another C++-using troll