[pypy-dev] Re: posting policies

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Mon Feb 2 13:40:59 CET 2004

Hi Michael!

[Michael Hudson Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:23:39AM +0000]
> holger krekel <hpk at trillke.net> writes:
>
> > [opraeconnection-owner at lists.opraonline.org Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 07:35:39AM -0500]
> >> Article rejected, un-authorized poster of pypy-dev at codespeak.net
> >
> > as many of you probably know by now this is a *virus* so just ignore it.
> >
> > I guess we should either restrict the posting policy on codespeak and/or use some
> > more filters (we are currently only using RBL filters, no content based
> > filters).  I am a bit hesitant to disallow non-members of the list
> > posting to pypy-dev.  Would this even work for the people reading the list over
> > the gmane news/mail gateway? I doubt it.  However, for the time beeing, i'll
> > experiment with holding non-members postings and see what happens ...
> >
> > Anyone out there who integrated spambayes and mailman in a nice manner
> > and would like to give some advice? Otherwise i'll just go ahead and try
> > to see what i can do ....
>
> I know the mail.python.org people have a system, so you could ask them.

Actuall i integrated spambayes and mailman on another machine two days
ago and it seems to work wonderfully.  I sent a preliminary patch
for mailman (around 20 lines of extensions) to Barry.

> If you have any ideas on how to keep the corpus up to date, I think
> they'd like to know...

I am currently practicing having a 'spam' and 'ham' account where
i bounce mails to from the 'unsure' category.  any mail to those
two accounts (or aliases in fact) is fed accoridngly into the spambayes
database and stored for later scrutiny.   Mailman just uses this
database.

Btw, I don't like re-inforncing the content-filter weights by feeding it
mail it already classified correctly.  So i currently only care for
'unsure'.  I probably will implement this on codespeak in the next days
and get rid of the many spam-mails i have to administer currently for
pypy-dev.

My basic idea is: if a mail that gets into the mailman system is

- spam: discard it or maybe reject/bounce it which is nicer for
        false positives (but which is very seldom)

- unsure: put it on hold and let a moderator/administrator decide

- ham: pass it to the subscribers

cheers,

    holger