[pypy-dev] Re: utest conversion tool question

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jul 1 19:42:42 CEST 2004

Is there any publicly accessible document on utest? the basic design, what
it is about, how it differs from unitest?

Is replacing .assertEquals with assert the main thing?  Are you catching
AssertionError in order to continue with further tests or are you using a
customized test-mode assert?

Looking at the PyPy site, I only found 'New unit testing framework (not
ready yet)' on the Test Design page, a paragraph in the Amsterdam report,
and the current utest threads that began June 15 and which assume
pre-existing knowledge of what utest is.

I am asking because I want to use TDD on a new project, from the beginning,
but I am not especially happy with either doctest or unittest.  (The latter
could work, but the heavy class framework reminds me of why I use Python
instead of Java ;-).

Terry J. Reedy