[pypy-dev] Re: utest conversion tool question

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Jul 1 20:16:26 CEST 2004

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

[...]
> I am asking because I want to use TDD on a new project, from the beginning,
> but I am not especially happy with either doctest or unittest.  (The latter
> could work, but the heavy class framework reminds me of why I use Python
> instead of Java ;-).

Reminds me of what Kent Beck writes (test-driven development by example,
Addison-Wesley, page 119):

"""
  xUnit has been ported to more than 30 programming languages as of this
  writing.  Your language is likely to have an implementation already.
  But there are a couple of reasons for implementing xUnit yourself,
  even if there is a version already available:

  * Mastery - The spirit of xUnit is simplicity.  Martin Fowler said,
    "Never in the annals of software engineering was so much owed by so
    many to so few lines of code."  Some of the implementations have
    gotten a little complicated for my taste.  Rolling your own will
    give you a tool over which you have a feeling of mastery.

[...]
"""

Thomas