[pypy-dev] Re: Scripttest

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Wed Jul 14 20:07:29 CEST 2004

holger krekel wrote:

> [Rocco Moretti Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 11:29:29AM -0500]
>
>>It started out as a way to run a script at applevel, capture its output,
>>and compare it with a known good result (presumably generated from
>>CPython). I was inspired by the original parts of the CPython regression
>>test framework. The thought was to make a simple way of testing app
>>level functionality, without having to support a whole unittest
>>framework at applevel.
>

> yes, i think this technique makes sense. But did you look into doctests, btw?

The thought was that running doctests/unittests at applevel involves a
large amount of code that might not run on pypy. If most of the testing
apparatus is at interpreter level, there is less chance the test
framework is what is failing, as opposed to the test itself. I guess
this is moot now that Seo has shown that the CPython regrtest framework
is working now.

Add to that the fact that I can't seem to find a good way to create an
extensible way of adding tests (currently adding new test scripts
requires a substantial amount of cut-and-paste), and its probably best
just to delete the whole deal, and get rid of the concomitant namespace
pollution. -- If someone thinks it'll be worthwhile later, they can
either resurrect it from svn, or recreate it from scratch.

Sorry about the dead-end-wild-goose-chase

-Rocco