[pypy-dev] Re: stuff

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Tue Jun 15 18:00:29 CEST 2004

[Michael Hudson Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 04:38:56PM +0100]
> holger krekel <hpk at trillke.net> writes:
> > [Michael Hudson Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 03:42:24PM +0100]
> > I think you could put a _stringhelper.py into appspace and use that
> > from the app-level definition of app_mod__String_ANY IIUC.
>
> Guess so, but I don't think we have the equivalent of
> PyImport_ImportModule() yet, do we?

no.  But you need to have that app_mod__String_ANY thingie, anyway
and can import from there, as far as i see.

> >> 3) could 'non-reimplementations' like longobject.py be auto generated?
> >>    On the fly, even?  It would seem a better solution than
> >>    cpythonobject.py (I guess longobject is special because of the
> >>    interaction with ints, but for e.g. files it shouldn't be too
> >>    hard).
> >
> > seems like an interesting approach to me.  I am not sure, though,
> > how something like long-objects could be generated fully on the fly
> > considering coercion rules. For files this is probably a non-issue.
>
> That's what I said :-)

ups, sorry. forgot about the parenthesis part :-)

> > Note that these days, apart from Files and wholly-wrapped cpython-modules, we
> > don't have all that many cpythonobject-wrapped thingies around, anymore.
>
> True.

so maybe it's not worth the effort to seriously think about it if we
are only talking abut Files?

    holger