[pypy-dev] utest conversion

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue Jun 15 19:44:54 CEST 2004

In a message of Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:14:34 +0200, Jacob Hallén writes:
>On tisdag 15 juni 2004 19.06, holger krekel wrote:
>> [Armin Rigo Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:56:07PM +0100]
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Building on a suggestion by Jacob on how to safely convert old-style
>> > unittests "self.assertEquals(x,y)" into new-style utest "assert x ==
>y":
>> > the difficulty is not to find the self.assertEquals() in the test
>> > sources, but to safely identify the comma between the two arguments,
>and
>> > not mistake it with some other comma that could appear in x or in y.
>> >
>> > There was talk about subtle string parsing, or about using Python's
>> > parser or compiler package, but actually it is much easier than that.
>..
>> > Just try to split the text "x,y" between the parenthesis in two halve
>s at
>> > every possible comma position, until both halves compile without rais
>ing
>> > SyntaxError :-)
>>
>> Yes, that reminds me of my favourite "try-parsing" technique (used
>> in rlcompleter2 and elsewhere :-)
>>
>> Actually you also need to check for multiline-parseability first. IIRC
>> we do have a quite a bit of multiline-asserts.
>
>Laura has solved the try-parsing problem, so it isn't just a suggestion a
>ny
>more.
>
>Jacob

I got the stuff working with compile too!(i.e. don't race out there and
implement this before I get my checkin).

Right now the great problem is files that look like this:

	self.assertEquals(x, y)  # check for unmatched ()

where the last ')' in the comment is the one that gets split
and multi-line comments that start self.assertEquals t.ex

'''
Here is something which will confuse things a lot

     self.assertEquals(x, y) will be converted to assert x == y

'''

Right now my program will mistake that for program text to be converted.
I wonder if this is a real problem for us?

Also, the compile needs to get a string with the leading indentation
stripped right off, i.e.

	 self.assertEquals(x + f(y, z) +
                          (z + 1),
                           42)

needs to make the strings

x + f(y, z) + z  + 1

and

42

so as not to get a syntax error on the unexpected indentation.

I wonder if we have text where people mix spaces and tabs on the leading line
on purpose?  If so my program is going to despair and demand a human to fix it.

I will get done making dinner, then check in what I have.  It was rather fun ...
Thank you Armin for the idea over dinner ...

Laura