[pypy-dev] Brainstorming at Python UK

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sat May 1 09:11:40 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:15:50PM +0100, Armin Rigo wrote:
> The general idea is to leverage what we have already built for translation,
> including the annotation-propagation framework, but replace the annotations
> themselves with something more reasonable.

I experimented in this direction at:

  http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/branch/typeinference/

   annotation.model     contains the basic Some* classes
   annotation.binaryop  has the logic for the union, plus other binary ops
   annotation.test.test_model

Together they replace the horribly obscure annotation.annset and its merge
nightmare, which is gone together with its test suite.

   annotation.factory   factories remember how to create mutable objects

The rest (in pypy/translator) is in a no-test-passing state, but very simple
functions like simple_func (i -> i+1) can already be successfully analysed and
Pyrexed with translator/translator.py.

Armin