[pypy-dev] More on optimization

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Sun Nov 7 13:01:00 CET 2004

Hi Samuele,

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 07:47:58PM +0100, Samuele Pedroni wrote:
> that what I was implicitly thinking with "be lists". My point anyway was
> simply that for Java the first relevant thing is to dinstiguish
> constant-size lists (the code in listobject uses such things) vs.
> variable size lists, and both then have natural reprs.

Ah: I didn't realize that listobject's "ob_item" was never resized.  I though
that _list_resize() would extend the existing list object, but instead it
creates a new one and assigns it to "w_self.ob_item".  I was insisting on this
point based on this misunderstanding, sorry.  Indeed, it looks much easier to
just detect that "ob_item" never changes its size, and use a plain Java array
because of that.

Armin