[pypy-dev] autopath obsolete?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Nov 18 12:54:34 CET 2004

On Nov 18, 2004, at 1:00 PM, holger krekel wrote:

> [Christian Tismer Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 11:22:53AM +0200]
>> Hi colleagues,
>>
>> I was wondering why we still need stuff like autopath?
>> I simply use a pypy.pth file in my standard python
>> folder which contains the path to pypy, and things
>> work fine.
>> Why do we really need autopath?
>
> The basic idea of autopath is that after you do
>
>     svn co http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/trunk/src
>
> and then
>
>     python src/pypy/test_all.py
>
> or any other test file or e.g.
>
>     python src/pypy/interpreter/py.py
>
> it just works without _any_ setup/installation steps.
> For the same reason we come with the neccessary
> dependencies to run py.py.

It's not unreasonable to ask people to add src to their PYTHONPATH by
some means (pth file or otherwise).  Requiring this simple step, common
to just about every other sane Python package, eliminates the need for
a distributed autopath entirely.

As Michael has mentioned, it makes sense to have a module that cleans
sys.path so that you don't have anything crazy in there, but autopath
as implemented seems like quite an unnecessary hack to me.

I've just committed a smarter implementation that deals with symlinks
and such more gracefully.

-bob