[pypy-dev] Re: extreme slowness

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Nov 24 11:30:00 CET 2004

hpk at trillke.net (holger krekel) writes:

> [Michael Hudson Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 09:53:18AM +0000]
>> Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> writes:
>>
>> > A few small hacks allowed me to pass the issue currently blocking
>> > (attached, why not).  Then I thought it got stuck in an infinite loop,
>> > but no, it was merely being very, very slow.  It takes about 15
>> > minutes to crash on tismerysoft.de, a 3 Ghz P4, so I'd guess at least
>> > an hour on this machine, maybe quite a bit more than that.
>>
>> Or alternatively it will run my machine out of swap.  Oh well!
>>
>> I guess all the debugging history stuff we keep doesn't exactly help
>> from this point of view.
>
> yes, i guess "-text" should turn debugging history off because without
> the flowviewer you stand no chance of browsing this information anyway.

Well.  The reason I was running it on my machine and not
tismerysoft.de was that I wanted to look at the flowviewer :)

> Also, interspersed "if debughistory: ..." would make it more
> obvious what is just there  for debugging purposes and what is
> really needed for annotation/translation to work properly.

I think after someone (you?  Christian?) mentioned the confusingness
of this, most of the uses of debug only stuff is commented now.
Still, indentation would probably help.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  (Unfortunately, while you get Tom Baker saying "then we
   were attacked by monsters", he doesn't flash and make