[pypy-dev] Re: Sprint wonderings

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Nov 25 13:42:35 CET 2004

Richard Emslie <rxe at ukshells.co.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I hope the past sprint was fun and I was wondering if any kind person
> from it would like to give an overview of activities, developments
> etc.... please?  That would be really great!!

Hmm, I was there and I could do with the same!  :-)

Reading pypy-svn is probably the best way to get an idea of what
happened.  Most of the work was on the annontator/translator, although
there was some appspace stuff -- md5, sha-1 hashes and files, although
files are not plumbed into the rest of pypy yet -- and the usual
polishing of the standard objects space.

On the annotator side, there seems to be a general feeling that we
have roughly the right approach now, although there are still an
unknown number of hopefully small details to work out.

The translator basically works, but there are some nasty hacks
knocking about and we haven't really tackled the gnarly issue of how
to make use of type annotations (currently the annotator is only used
to work out *which* functions are called, and the knowledge of *how*
they are called is ignored).

Evolution, not revolution, I'd say.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  MGM will not get your whites whiter or your colors brighter.
  It will, however, sit there and look spiffy while sucking down