[pypy-dev] Congratulations to the Pypy team

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Fri Nov 26 16:09:24 CET 2004

Hi Xavier,

[Xavier Heymans Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 01:59:14PM +0100]
> Last week Paul and I participated to the Calibre conference in Den Haag,
> Netherlands. Paul was invited to make the keynote speech. Some high-ranking
> EU commissioners were presents. They were very interested in open source and
> knew all the details about the Pypy project.
>
> Congratulations to the Pypy team for your project, your excellent lobby and
> for having open the EU minds to pen source.

Great to hear!  This is another positive sign that eventually everything
will work out nicely.  Just this monday the signing process was initiated
by the EU which - nevertheless - still does not imply a formalized commitment.
But we are all getting ready to fully start the EU project on 1st of December.

Btw, everyone please spread the word that we plan to do about 14 coding sprints
in the next two years in various places, ranging from Pycon in Washington DC
to South Korea but most of them taking place in Europe.  European hackers
will very likely have the possibility to "join" the EU project and receive
travel + accomodation costs for these sprints refunded.  We still need to
sort out ways to make this as unbuerocratic as possible, though, and there
are some questions and details that we must first resolve.

And if anyone likes to help with organizing one of the sprints that would
be very helpful as these events really form the foundation of the PyPy
project and they are much more fun and easier to do if there are locals
to interact with ...

cheers and greetings,

    holger