[pypy-dev] binascii.py in pure python

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Fri Nov 26 16:51:36 CET 2004

Hi Florian,

[Florian Bauer Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 04:40:18PM +0100]
> What I'm thinking about is whether I should use regular expressions or
> not. I haven't played around with it yet, but I guess that at least for
> running under CPython re.sub woud be faster than a state machine with
> the loop coded in python. But in pypy, maybe not. Any thoughts on this
> matter?

We don't have a regexp implementation in PyPy yet.  We just reuse
cpython's c-coded one.  IIRC, Jonathan David Riehl had some kind
of a python-coded regexpish state machine for his tokenizer+parser
suite completly written in Python.  The according code is here:

    http://codespeak.net/svn/basil/trunk/basil/lang/python/

> Btw. I will need some time to clean up the module. In the next 10 days
> I'm pretty busy with matching the deadline for my thesis <wink>.
> But afterwards, I'll clean up my code and submit it.

fine! and good luck ...

    holger