[pypy-dev] Re: [PyCON-Organizers] Jim Hugunin as keynote speaker

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue Nov 30 15:37:31 CET 2004

In a message of Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:12:41 EST, "A.M. Kuchling" writes:
>Jim Hugunin has agreed to do a keynote speech at PyCon 2005.  In
>private e-mail, Steve and I agreed that Feb. 1st was a reasonable
>deadline for getting a title and abstract from Jim.  It'll most likely
>be about IronPython, but that's up to Jim.  We should update the Wiki
>and web pages to mention this.  Jim will get free registration.
>
>Questions:
>
>Guido traditionally gives a keynote, so we now have two
>speakers. Do we need a third keynote for day 3?
>
>Does this suggest a theme of alternative Python implementations for
>PyCon?  We could ask the Jython, PyPy, and Python/Parrot people if
>there's anything they want to present -- possibly Christian Tismer for
>Stackless, too.  (I doubt we can help Samuele Pedroni attend the
>conference, though, which means it's unlikely Jython can be
>represented.)  A panel discussion between implementors might be
>useful/educational.  Teams could also organize sprints of their own.
>I doubt there's any cross-implementation code to be written, but
>that's a possibility.  Suggested things to do:
>
>	* Ping the Jython, PyPy, Parrot, Stackless groups: anything they w
>ant to
>	  present?  Any sprints they want to run?
>	* If enough presenters show up, schedule a panel discussion.
>	  (Requires a moderator, and at least a ghost of an agenda.)
>
>We could set a deadline for some sort of contest, like the pie-thon
>competition at OSCON; is that a good idea?  (Pro: it's a good way to
>encourage progress; it's very concrete; and it gets press.  Con: Time
>is short for that; not clear what the goal is -- running Python
>benchmarks has been done, anything moree may be too difficult.
>Ideas?)
>
>IMHO two keynotes are enough, but the Parrot/Python angle may suggest
>a third keynote, or at least an invited talk: Sam Ruby
>(http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/) is the current person working on
>it, and he's an XML guy who's given keynotes before (e.g. notes on one
>keynote are at http://www.jepstone.net/radio/2002/10/10.html#a209.)
>
>--amk

PyPy is funded as of Dec 1. They are signing the papers _now_ I believe.
Samuele Pedroni is coming to work for Strakt, to do PyPy.  He can come to Pycon.
We're _all_  thinking about coming and having a Sprint.   I forwarded this
to pypy-dev -- I am sure that the rest of the gang will have things to say.

Laura -- for PyPy dev.