[pypy-dev] Re: whitespace policies

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Apr 21 20:52:39 CEST 2005

hpk at trillke.net (holger krekel) writes:

> Now my question is, do we want to "enforce" or at least
> state in our coding-style document one policy or the other?
> I see two options:
>
> 1. you should NOT use editor settings that scrap trailing
>    whitespace on source code or documentation.  You will note
>    "wrong" editor settings when you see 'svn diff's ala::
>
>    -  some line content
>    +  some line content
>
>    which indicate that you only changed whitespace.
>
> or
>
> 2. you should use editor settings that scrap trailing
>    whitespace on source code and documentation
>
> Obviously, the second option should be accompanied by
> a monster-commit changing all those lines in one go.
>
> What do you think?

Option 2), with the added detail of running the reindent.py script
over the entire codebase every so often (as Tim does for Python).

I've wanted to do this for ages, but have always been too chicken :)

Cheers,
mwh

--
  It is time-consuming to produce high-quality software. However,
  that should not alone be a reason to give up the high standards