[pypy-dev] Fwd: michele.simionato at gmail.com: ACCU conference aftermath

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Wed Apr 27 12:12:03 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I took the liberty to forward here the following e-mail from Michele
Simionato, as it contains interesting links.

-----

Hi Armin!

I much enjoyed your talks and I have posted my impressions about
them on c.l.py.
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/72446ebe0271f3cf/80aa801f642f1006?hl=en#80aa801f642f1006)

As I told you in the conference, I think you should check in the Lisp/Scheme
world where there is an astonishingly amount of knowledge about JIT and
in general about compiling to C code fast.

Relevant projects I know of are:

- SBCL, a JIT compiler for Common Lisp;
- Bigloo, a high performance Scheme->C compiler;
- Chicken, another easy Scheme->C compiler.

All these projects are free software and they are actually working products,
not just experimental stuff. SBCL is mostly developed in the US
I think (it is the successor to the Carnegie Mellon Common Lisp), Bigloo
is developed in France by Manuel Serrano whereas Chicken is developed
in Germany by Felix Winkelman. I am an user of Chicken and I think
Felix is a extremely nice and helpful guy.

Here are a few links:

http://sbcl.sourceforge.net/
http://www-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Bigloo/
http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/