[pypy-dev] restructuring lib-python-2.3.4 / testing

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Wed Apr 27 15:31:38 CEST 2005

Hi pypy-dev,

for various reasons it seems like a good idea to
move to a slightly modified directory structure
regarding our "compat 2.3.4 library" and tests.
The idea is to put the completely unmodified
standard python library into:

    lib/python-2.3.4

and put test-wrapping configuration/hacks etc.pp.
in lib/ instead of modifying an otherwise unmodified
tree.

The changed tests and library modules we have in pypy/lib
could reside where they are now although it might be
clearer to put them into

    lib/python-2.3.4-modified

instead. This is probably a question of how version
independent our modifications really are.

Today we also changed the way compliance tests are run (by
default, you get the old behaviour with '-E') because we want
to move on with getting a complete overview of test failures.
If you run py.test (or pypy/test_all.py) in the python-2.3.4
library then your test runs will get recorded into a new
'result' directory.

With the above proposed location i would suggest
to put this result directory into:

    lib/python-2.3.4-testresult/

If there are no objections (even better: agreement :-)
i am doing that this night or tomorrow.

cheers,

    holger