[pypy-dev] genllvm standalone announcement

Eric van Riet Paap eric at vanrietpaap.nl
Wed Aug 17 22:49:27 CEST 2005

We are proud to announce that since this afternoon the llvm backend can also
create a standalone executable of the PyPy interpreter! The current version
even runs up to and including the InteractiveConsole, though some things are
obviously not working yet.

The llvm backend would not have been possible without all the people
contributing to PyPy. Carl Friedrich did an amazing amount for groundwork
during the first half of this year. Holger helped out with the architecture
of the current llvm backend and Richard and I worked on it for the last two
months.

If you would like to run the current version on x86 (linux), the executable
can be downloaded from http://codespeak.net/~ericvrp/download/entry_point
You will see some debug information and sometimes segfaults because not all
external functions are (fully) implemented and neither are some other
features.

At the Heidelberg sprint hopefully the remaining functionality will be
implemented. So for PyPy 0.7 we will have two fully self-contained
executables. Who would have thought that 2 months ago...

enjoy,
Eric