[pypy-dev] pypy-0.7.0 is out!

Arthur Peters amp at singingwizard.org
Mon Aug 29 14:26:24 CEST 2005

Thanks for your replies. I had forgoten -t-lowmem. I unloaded X and a few
other things and tried it again.

It translated without swapping. The python translator process finished
holding 704M. I didn't notice it going any higher (but it may have). It
used about 28 minutes of CPU time. I used the options "-t-lowmem
-text" (-text because I'm not running under X).

The cc1 process used in excess of 800M again. Would it be posible to emit
a set of files instead of a single file? Then compile them seperately.
Spliting it into 10 files would speed up compilation alot because it
wouldn't swap.

pypy-c starts and seems to work but is VERY slow. It spends a lot of time
consuming 100% CPU and not accessing the disk. It also seems to be
constantly allocating more RAM, also. Is this the issue related to slow
module loading or something else? (help(theading) took almost 40
minutes, and failed with missing popen) Also it takes a couple seconds
to respond after I hit enter no matter what the command is (even things
like "x = 1").

I think implementing readline-like features for the interactive prompt
would be very nice. At the very least a working backspace and command
history.

I tried llvm but it failed will downloading from
codespeak.net/pypy/llvm-gcc.cgi (Strange problem for a compiler) because
the ethernet cable had come loose from the machine.

Overall I am very impressed and I can't wait for some new features to
come out of this. The JIT will be neat, but I'm also interested in the
thunk object space as a way of implementing a threading model in which
each thread makes requests from other threads. The requests return
immediately, but the returned object is a special object that is
automatically replaced with the actual result when it is available. It
seems like a thread safe version of the thunk object space would do
quite nice for implementing this. (I learn about this idea from reading
about Eifel but I've never actually programmed with it)

Just some thoughts of my own. Not a request. Once the whole thing gets a
bit more stable I'll start playing with implementing this kinda thing
myself. (assuming I have some free time ;-)

Good work,
-Arthur

PS: I'll remember the "compile it by hand later" trick, but it wasn't
needed this time.