some next steps (was: Re: [pypy-dev] Release)

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Wed Aug 31 08:14:42 CEST 2005

Hey Seo!

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 10:49 +0900, Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
> On 8/30/05, holger krekel <hpk at trillke.net> wrote:
> >
> > Personally, i hope i will find some time to seriously improve
> > the testing framework on various levels.  With PyPy, we begin to
> > have lots of options and variants in testing our own code
> > base, the standard python library's tests as well as testing
> > translation targets and variants.  I'd like to implement an
> > approach that allows completely peer-driven testing and
> > sending of reports to a central site where they can be queried
> > according to os/processor/python.  I intend to implement this
> > in a PyPy neutral manner so that the numerous other users of
> > py.test can reuse our efforts for their projects.  Additionally,
> > i'd like to have tests become interactively distributable
> > to multiple machines (listed via ssh-account login information)
> > from a single (possibly modified) working copy.
>
> This reminds me of BuildBot: http://buildbot.sourceforge.net/ . Does it look
> relevant?

I know of buildbot but i think it has a different focus.
It works with a central installation and it targets more general
build processes whereas we would probably focus on detailed python
testing and have it peer-driven so that everyone can contribute to
gather information (which does obviously not exclude having servers
which do it on a regular basis via cron or are triggered by
svn-notification emails).

cheers,

    holger